Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chhetri brace takes Bengaluru FC to top in I-League

AIFF Media

A brace by skipper Sunil Chhetri helped Bengaluru FC beat Shillong Lajong 2-1 in the 12th round of the Airtel I-League at the Bangalore Football Stadium.
With this win, the hosts kept their record intact at home, while Shillong Lajong’s six-match unbeaten run in the league finally came to an end. Bengaluru FC now have 21 points from 11 matches, while the North Eastern side remain on 14 points.

Man of the match, Chhetri opened the scoring for his team in the seventh minute. After a smart move from the left flank, he managed to put the ball past the Lajong keeper Vinay Singh after a perfect one two with Robin Singh.
The second goal came from a penalty in the 34th minute after Chhetri was brought down inside the box by Robin Gurung. Chhetri made no mistake from the spot, as he became the highest Indian goal scorer in the league with four goals.

The visitors pulled one back in the 81st minute with a brilliant goal from Boithang Haokip. Haokip’s curling left footer from a free kick outside the box beat Bengaluru FC keeper Pawan Kumar. Haokip’s strike was not enough, as the hosts managed to cling on to the one goal lead to pocket full points from the match.

It was a fantastic game of soccer, as both the teams created a number of chances throughout the 90 minutes. Bengaluru FC could have won by a bigger margin, if they had not missed some easy chances from close range. The hosts were also unlucky in the 20th minute, when Beikhokhei Beingaichho’s header hit the cross bar.

Robin Singh, who started the game in place of Sean Rooney too was culprit of missing a few sitters in both halves of the match. In the first half, Robin had the opportunity to give his team the lead in the second minute, but he headed the ball over the post.

In the ninth minute he once again missed an easy chance from the close quarter. He was once again culprit of missing yet another one on one opportunity in the injury time of the first half.

On the other hand, the visitors too had a few chances. Their Trinidadian striker and World Cupper Cornell Glen did look dangerous at times, but failed to finish his moves. In the 17th minute, his left footer from outside the box was saved by Pawan Kumar.

In the 42nd minute, Glen dribbled past three defenders, but hit the ball straight into Pawan Kumar’s hands. Early in the second half, his shot missed the goal by a whisker.

No comments:

Post a Comment