Monday, April 28, 2014

I-League champs sign off in style

AIFF Media

Beikhokhei Beingaichho scored in the 2nd minute of added time as Bengaluru FC finished off their Airtel I-League campaign on a spectacularly winning note after they defeated Sporting Clube de Goa 2-1 in the concluding match at the Nehru Stadium, Goa, on Monday (April 28, 2014).

Boima Karpeh had given Sporting a first half lead but Bengaluru FC fought back in the second session with goals from Robin Singh and Beingaichho. 

The Blues thus finish their campaign with 47 points from 24 matches.

Captain Sunil Chhetri thanked the Club fans FC for staying beside the Team the entire season. “They are presently the best fans in the Country. They are just amazing,” Chhetri stated in the post match interview. “I am extremely happy to have won the Championship,” Chhetri, who had last season won the I-League with Churchill Brothers, added.

Referring to him finishing at par with Darryl Duffy on 14 Goals as the joint-highest top-scorer in the League, he pronounced: “It just doesn't matter as to who scores. The Team-mantra has always been ahead of any individual. I’m happier for the Team,” he declared.

The India Captain yelled the loudest to thank the fans for their undeterred support.

Bengaluru FC wanted to sign off as champions and this was there for all to see as they launched attacks right from the word go. The Bengaluru crowd, too, were in just the right form as they egged their side and made for an electric atmosphere at the stadium.

Sporting Clube were taking their time but they were not going to give Bengaluru FC an easy time.

Nigerian midfielder Ogba Kalu tried his luck from a distance but the Bengaluru FC goalkeeper had no problem dealing with that effort.

It was Bengaluru FC’s game though. Siam Hanghal’s cross found Sunil Chhetri on the left and the BFC captain darted ahead but fired a shot which was saved. The rebound fell at the feet of Robin Singh but before he could react, Sporting defence remained alert to the danger.

Sporitng Clube were also getting ambitious but did not have enough men upfront.

Boima Karpeh was their lone danger upfront and Sporting’s highest goalscorer did try to dazzle things up. His first attempt was in the 39th minute when Royston D’Souza got into a good position inside Bengaluru’s penalty area, turned and crossed the ball for Boima. The Australian striker controlled the ball well but his shot was aimed at the skies.

Karpeh, however, made amends two minutes later when he fired in a thunderous shot from outside the box which the BFC goalkeeper had no chance to save.

In the second session, Bengaluru FC did flex their muscles and got the equaliser at the hour mark. It was John Johnson’s headed ball that found Robin and the India striker, left completely unmarked, made no mistake.

The match looked like it was headed for a draw until Beingaichho gave Bengaluru FC that champion feeling at the death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment